Where to Buy Wine in Bordeaux and to Not Break the Bank?
When you travel to Bordeaux, you may wonder where to buy authentic Bordeaux wines and not break the bank.
Bordeaux is all about wine, there is no shortage of shopping options here.
There are pros and cons of each, depending on the type of wine you are buying and whether you already know what you are looking for.
When buying wines in Bordeaux consider the following:
- How many bottles can you bring back to your country duty-free?
- Does your country allow the import of wines? What is the import duty?
- Remember when sending wine abroad outside of EU, you are exempt from paying 20% French sales tax.
- Shipping costs are steep. Is it worth to send wine to your country? Fine wines can be worth sending home while “Tuesday wines” may not be worth it if you are shipping overseas.
- Check whether the same wines and vintages are available in your country.
- If you live in a hot place, avoid shipping wines during the hot months.
1. Wine Shops in the Center of Bordeaux
Wine shops concentrated around Allees Tourny in the Grand Theatre area, are a convenient option, if you are staying in the city center and not going on a wine tour outside of Bordeaux.
These shops are serving both locals and visitors. They will be happy to give you advice on local wines and ship a case or two to your house. Normally, they will have someone speaking English to help you.
Here, you will find a good selection of fine wines – grand cru classe of Medoc, Premier crus of Saint-Emilion, top wines of Pomerol, Cognacs, and Armagnacs.
French wines from other regions are presented too, however, the selection isn’t as wide. Prices may be higher than elsewhere, but not necessarily.
Click on the map to see details