Is the Wine Museum La Cite Du Vin in Bordeaux Worth Visiting?
Since 2016 La Cite du Vin is one of the major landmarks in Bordeaux, France, and among top things to do in the city.
My wine tour clients often ask me whether they should visit the Bordeaux famous wine museum.
Here is my honest opinion on whether you should be allocating time to visit La Cite du Vin with some pros and cons. Keep in mind I am not a big fan of museums in general, but I tried to be objective.
I have also filmed a little video inside the Bordeaux Wine Museum so you can make up your mind easier.
- If you want to learn more about wine and the history of wine. The permanent exhibition offers a lot of information in the interactive form.
- If you have a couple of free hours in the city.
- If you want to visit a restaurant with a view. Le 7 is a popular Bordeaux restaurant, not only among tourists, locals enjoy it as well.
- If your kids like interactive museums. There are plenty of buttons to press and screens to touch.
- If you are looking to buy nice French and international wines. The shop inside the Bordeaux wine museum is quite impressive. Wines from Kazakhstan? – Oui.
- If you want to buy good quality Bordeaux souvenirs. I quite like the choice of Bordeaux souvenirs and wine accessories at the museum.
- If you haven’t had a chance to go on a Bordeaux wine tour. Wine tours in Bordeaux are very educational, however, if you haven’t got time for an actual tour, you may find a lot of good Bordeaux wine information at the wine museum.
- If you want to experience birds-eye view of Bordeaux. The Belvedere on the 8th floor where the tasting is held opens to a balcony with a view of the Garonne river and the center of Bordeaux.
- If you love modern architecture.
- If you don’t mind the 20 euro admission fee. You can save a little if you buy the Bordeaux city card.
- If you do not want to leave the center of Bordeaux. The wine museum isn’t too far away, however, it would take you about 30-minutes walking from the center.
- If you plan on spending a day wine touring. You will learn so much during a Bordeaux wine tour, that you will probably need a break from more wine-related information.
- If you are a wine professional, you will find information in the Wine Museum to be quite basic for a wine pro.